Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Elusive Miss Heidi

Beautiful Miss Heidi

Miss Heidi's New House



Hiding Out


An Elusive Miss Heidi


The Elusive Heidi

The journey to save Heidi began July 13, 2009 and it has not been easy for either of us and be assured I am not complaining. I began construction on a house for her a few days ago, but before it was completed a storm arrived in Windyville with torrential rain and high winds. A canvas covered wire cage was her only protection. The storm came in the night and I went to her and began covering it more secure against the wind and rain. Lightening was horrific and I was soon soaked to the skin. The lightening was very frightening to her, but she did not try to escape. Water began running across one side of the floor, but I finally got it all under control.
The next morning early I went out and she lay calmly on her bed unscathed by the storm but a little damp. After our walk together I turned her loose in the yard as I always do and away she went to hide in her hideout. The hideout is located in a corner of the yard, a little brushy area and shady.
Heidi still does not like to be touched and if I persist she will cower and tremble, so I bide my time. She will not come to me, but will meet me halfway by entering the cage for a cheese treat. Yet for of her uncertainty and fear that continues to bother her, she whines when I leave the yard without her. She is untrusting of other people and shows extreme fear if more than one person approaches her.
There have been times more often than not when I call for her to come to me she runs around the house several times before she enters the cage. And now that her house is completed, a very nice place if I may say so I am working on trying to ease her mind and enticing her to go inside. Small pieces of cheese, her favorite treat leads her inside and now she visit the building every hour or so. The building is approximately five feet high, four feet wide and six feet long and allows me to take her inside, shut the door and we sat there while she looks for treats.
Rain is due this evening or in the morning and she must stay in the little house where she will be dry and safe.
Heidi is elusive and would set out in the rains and storms if I allowed her to do so, but all of this will pass and hopefully she will put aside the terrible fear of humans that she possesses. For the most part Heidi is unafraid of other dogs; it is only humans that have mistreated her so. Little by little she is beginning to trust me, but it is a fragile thing that must be dealt with kindly. Those beautiful brown eyes of hers are softening. She is a lovely creature. Adios.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

That isn't a 'house', it's a mansion! Boone is going to be jealous if he ever sees it. Wow.
Tammy

T. Powell Coltrin said...

She is finally smiling. I would too with a house like that and people - finally - to love me.