Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Time For Beautiful Heidi

Beautiful Heidi

Time for a treat


Heidi finds a cricket


Heidi on point

At this writing Heidi is well and more beautiful than ever. She and I are close companions and we have endured the long winter months, where every evening she and I would sit for a time in her cabin with the door closed. Often the wind blew wet and cold outside and after sharing little peanut butter sandwiches with me she would snuggle down beside me and sleep. One of my old winter shirts after being warmed by the stove inside my house covered her. There she would remain until she sat up as if to say it is time for me to leave. Of course she knew I had a treat to give her. She likes to shake hands with me and often licks my face or hand. She is very protective, perhaps a little too much. Heidi welcomes the time when I arrive to go in her cabin and seems relieved to be locked inside for the night. There are still signs of her experience of being mistreated. She does not trust very many people and often reverts back to cowering, even from me. But time is slowly dimming those memories. She loves to play ball, but as yet will not bring it to me. She cries when I leave and sits and watches when I am in sight of her. She trusts my wife and comes to her most of the time. Sadly she will not enter her cabin during a storm unless I tell her to and will and has remained outside drenched to the skin. But I am patient and know that I will see the day when she is completely at ease with her world and mine. Adios

3 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

beautiful Heidi, beautiful post.

Ken and Mary of Fancy Fibers Farm said...

Good on you for taking care of beautiful Heidi! I can tell she's a special one. We have a special needs rescue who still has issues even after many years, but I love her dearly and she's deeply bonded to me. I came across your blog from your daughter's posting, which I follow. I compliment you on your blog, it's most interesting and will be checking back. Ken and Mary of Fancy Fibers Farm, Farmersville, Texas

Vicki Lane said...

Good for you for taking such fine care of one of the 'least of these.' She's turning into a beauty.