Friday, February 12, 2010

A Cane With Soul

"I'll Be Here When You Need Me."

A Good Solid Cane of Red Cedar

Many years ago I began carving wood and later when I became an adult and after I was married I began carving again. First it was country people, teachers, farmers, lawmen and a host of others. One day while walking through an old cedar forest I found a stand of young trees that had died from been too thick. I pulled one of the cedars from the ground and discovered the roots were attached. Several trees later I carried them home. The roots were different shapes and quite colorful. From them I carved staffs and canes. I sold many of them. One day a particular cane, the handle was the face of an old man. I decided to keep it and brought to the house and leaned it up against the wall behind the heating stove. The old man caught my eye now and then and I wondered why until one day he seemed to say, “I’m waiting and will be here when you’re ready for a cane”.
He has been there now several years, gathering dust, (I clean him once in awhile) but I keep telling him I not ready yet. I really do appreciate his patient and it comforts me knowing if I need him, he will be there. Adios

1 comment:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I will be shocked if you are ever ready for him. But, he's there if you ever decide you need him. :)