Friday, February 26, 2010

Foods Fit For A King


Foods Fit For a King
Caviar is alright I suppose among all the other so called delights that stirs the appetites of the elite. I also consider myself elite, but I am not among the wealthy bunch or of royalty and my taste is much different. I never did like to gob everything together like I have seen on the plates of the other elite and given a name that is supposedly French, German, Italian or perhaps mixtures of all of them. I imagine folks of my caliber in those counties have simple names for their foods as we do here in the States. I have a spoon, a fork and knife to eat with and I don’t understand why you cut with one knife, move it around with a special fork and then lay it aside and then cut it again with a different knife and pick up the food with yet another fork and if you drop it on your plate, you select a particular spoon to move it to its original place and then begin again all over. A spoon is a good all around tool, especially a large one. You can eat mash potatoes, peas, beans and many other delights in one fell swoop. Fried chicken or a pork chop need no tools, for the fingers are well adapted to lift the morsel to your mouth and while you are there you can lick them clean. “Finger licking good,” I say.
I came away from my childhood with many favorite foods, such as molasses cake, head cheese, fried apple pie, limburger cheese, pickled pig feet, pickled jalapeƱo peppers hot enough to send the average person running for the water bucket. Paw Paws are good as are dried persimmons. Home grown hen eggs, fried over easy and I mean treated gentle and then sopped up with a slice of home made bread is indeed food for king. A fried, over easy real gentle duck egg is out of this world. I could go on and on about the other foods I was raised with, delicious fare that you don’t see around much these days. A bowl of hot oatmeal, laced with molasses, a handful of walnuts and a strawberry and a pinch of cayenne pepper is a staple that no other food can match. It is true that sardines were not a homegrown food back then, but once in awhile my father and I indulged. At the time a can of sardines came in a large can, unlike the cans of the present. A slice of limburger, a glass of spring cooled buttermilk and sardines were food fit for a king. Of course every one left the room, except Father and me. Sardines were always in my pack when I went out a wandering on the river. My class of the elite does not dab at our face with a napkin after each bite, but wait until the meal is finished. Food was fuel to get you through the day and that doesn’t mean we didn’t have a deep appreciation of our fare .It was serous business for the women folk who took great pride in what they put on the table. Adios

No comments: