Friday, January 29, 2010

Heidi and Me, our Journey Continues

A very shy Miss Heidi

A quite time for Heidi, before the snow came



With the first onslaught of winter this season, I worried some that Heidi might not be warm enough, but the concern I had was unnecessary. Heidi has taken to winter in fine spirits and great enthusiasm. The cabin I built for her and the deep warm bed inside in a very comfortable retreat for her especially at night. During the day for the most part she uses a deep straw bed on a little porch of a building adjacent to her cabin. I gave her an old padded shirt coat, (not to play with, but to wear in the evening when inside her home) and just before I go out to visit her I heat the coat before the fire. After her bed is straightened out a bit, she and I sit, while she is wearing the coat and we have a peanut butter sandwich. I do believe this is her favorite time of the day. Afterwards I groom her a bit and soon she begins yawning and lies down and I know it is time for me to leave. Heidi has begun playing with me, chasing me around the yard. She readily greets me in the morning upon entering her cabin by lifting a paw for me to shake. She still insists that I do not wear my glasses when inside her home. I really don’t know why. Heidi is still very shy or afraid of other people, but trusts me enough to remain calm when we encounter someone. She is a nervous dog when out away from the yard, but I believe she is slowly losing some of that. I am looking forward to spring and summer and believe by the next winter she will be a normal dog. Adios

1 comment:

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I knew you would gain her trust.