Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Snowy Day

A Bit Cold Today

Hungry Birds are Welcome

Heidi's Day Bed

A Warm place For the Night

Beautiful Heidi


Who Goes There?


Bracing the snow

Heidi’s Winter
Winter in all its beauty has arrived for the New Year. It is a challenging time for all creatures that are exposed to the wind, lack of available food and to those who are weak. But on the other hand so are all seasons.
Heidi has bloomed into a beautiful and gentle dog. She is hardy and seems to enjoy the snowy days. She has become very affectionate in her own way, but still has moments when she remembers I guess the time when she was abused. A couple of nights ago when I was with her in her cabin and after I had prepared her bed for the night she placed both front legs on my shoulders and licked me on the face, but only after I removed my glasses. She loves to shake hands with me and lays very still as I rub her back and head. A little cup of chicken and bite size peanut butter sandwiches delights her just before I leave for the night. I shut the door and she safe and warm until morning, buried deep in her bed of old blankets, on top of an old sleeping bag and more old blankets and quilts. She is at last content and knows that we care for her a great deal. For the day she has a deep straw bed she uses on a little porch and can see everything going on around her. She loves to dig, but not as much as she did. I doubt if there are any moles left in the yard. Each morning and evening we walk together along a road. Heidi has come along way and I am so glad she is sharing life with me. Adios.

No comments: