Saturday, June 5, 2010

Polly Anna

Pup Polly Anna

Polly Anna at about five years of age

A Time To Remember
Polly Anna
Over the many years of our lives, stray animals found their way to this little town above the Niangua River. Most were in desperate need of care and most found it at our home. We located homes for a few and others, especually the cats stayed to live out their lives. The dogs that came were often just runaways that eventually left to return home, but there were those who also stayed with us. I could name many, but that would take awhile and so I will recall a few. Bluto, was not a stray, for we aquired him as a puppy. King was an adopted dog as was Maggie.
Indian Creek Smokey, a bloodhound was purchased. Tootsie was a stray that lived with us for many years. And there came another one day with her brother and sister, foot sore and and hungry. The brother was given away and the females stayed with us and then one day one of the females disappeared and that left Polly Anna. Polly Anna beacome family and lived with us, shared our home for eleven years. We were told that she was part pitbull and redbone hound. But I have never known a more gentle and compassionate dog as she. She was completely devoted to us and understood many words. While sitting on the back steps one evening, she brought me a baby rabbit and laid it down carefully at my feet. Another time she brought me a baby starling. But of course the years past and she grew older. Then it was discovered she had cancer and I let her live on until one day she could no longer get around, but worst of all the pain had become unbearable for her. She died peaceably in my arms when the vet gave her a lethal injection. When she passed away, a part of me was gone, but I have my memories of her and that is a wonderful aspect of life. And now there is Heidi. Adios

No comments: